Date: Saturday, April 20, 2024
Registration: March 18, 2024 – April 5, 2024
Brazos Expo Center
5827 Leonard Rd
- $10 per contestant
- Payable through 4-H Connect*
- Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county****.
Contestants will judge four soil profiles with 20‐minutes allowed for each and determine the soil characteristics of the profiles and make interpretations based on observation. Coaches are responsible for all transportation to and from contest site. Coaches are also required to assist in operation of the contest through the grading of score cards and serving as pit monitors.
- To teach youth identify different soil types and understand their characteristics
- To give youth an appreciation for value of soil and it’s conservation
- To help youth understand how soil amendments change soil qualities
- To make youth aware of career opportunities related to soil
Rules & Guidelines
District 8 4-H Rules & Guidelines
Bring to the contest:
- water bottle for textural analysis
- tape measure
- multiple pencils
- appropriate knife or similar digging tool
- Land Judging in Texas
- Soil Judging Scorecard
- Texas 4-H Roundup General Info and Guidelines for Soil Judging
2020 Contest Letter – COMING SOON!
2019 Contest Letter – MS Word – pdf