|Date:||Thursday, November 9, 2023|
|Registration:||October 9, 2023 – October 20, 2023|
|Location:||Lakeview Baptist Church, 7717 TX-317, Belton, TX 76513|
Schedule: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION COMING SOON
Printable Schedule (pdf)
- $10 per contestant
- Payable through 4-H Connect*
- Check with your local county Extension office to ask about deadlines specific to your county****.
The Livestock Skillathon contest tests a 4-H member’s knowledge and comprehension of animal science and livestock management practices. The contest provides an opportunity for youth to gain and develop production livestock skills and life skills through a competitive environment.
Rules & Guidelines
- This will be a “come and go” format where there is not a specific time that all contestants will be required to report.
- The contest will be open from 8 am to 12 noon.
- All contestants that are designated as a team must enter the contest at the same time.
The contest may include the following components:
- Placing classes
- Written Exam/Quality Assurance Quiz
- Hands-on practicum
- Live animal evaluation or handling
Contest Subject Matter:
Contest subject matter may include, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Livestock equipment identification – name and use category
- Livestock breed identification – breed name and descriptions
- Retail meat cut identification – beef, lamb, pork; identify specie, primal, and retail cut
- Feed sample identification
- Potential judging classes – hay, wool, meat, livestock
- Quality Assurance Exercises
- General Livestock Industry
The last page of the 2018-2019 Texas 4-H Livestock Skillathon Guide has many website links for study resources.